Lexus LS 500 – A few weeks ago we drove the Lexus LS 500 limousine. It comes in two engine choices, a V6 Petrol, and a Hybrid version. Each engine choice comes in either a F Sport or Sport Luxury configuration.
Given that the LS is the pinnacle for the Lexus range they have thrown everything in there and its luxurious and extremely comfortable.
Its hard to choose whether to sit in the drivers seat or be chauffeured around in the spacious rear seat with its extendable foot rest and massage functions.
The LS is powered by the smooth 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged V6 petrol engine producing 310kW and a sublime 600Nm from 1600-4800 rpm.
Or the LS 500h features a naturally aspirated V6 of the same capacity with a multi-stage hybrid system offering 264 kW for the perfect blend of performance and economy.
This drives through a 10 speed AT, that matches perfectly to the engine characteristics.
Given that this is meant for executive transport one little niggle was that the rear seat entertainment screens seemed a little intrusive and would perhaps be better integrated into the front head rests.
The Lexus LS 500 is in a rarefied segment of large limousine style vehicles.
Pricing for the LS is from a little over $195,000 through to a little over $202,000 plus the usual costs.
This is a Motoring Minute
I’m Rob Fraser
TO LISTEN TO THE LEXUS LS 500 RADIO REVIEW CLICK BELOW
Quick Lexus LS thoughts
What is good?
- Engine is smooth with excellent economy
- Simple and easy to drive
What is not so good?
- Ridiculous mouse pad
- Rear seat entertainment screen intrusive
- Small boot space
Some other Lexus LS Articles
- 2018 Lexus LS 500h Review
- Lexus LS 500 2018 Review
- Lexus LS500 Twin Turbo V6 Review
- 2013 Lexus LS 600H F Sport Review
- 2009 Lexus LS 600hl AWD Hybrid Luxury Video Review
Also Look At
The Lexus LS 500 sits in rarefied air, the large luxury saloon segment has shrunk dramatically over the last few years.
LS 500h Sport Luxury
|3.5L Hybrid Petrol Euro 6
|10 stage CVT FWD
|Battery Capacity / type
|220kW @ 6,600 rpm
|350Nm @ 5,100 rpm
|Range (WLTP) / efficiency
|Fast Charge / Home (240V)
|5.4secs / 250km/h
|5yr/ Unlimited km with 10Yr. conditional roadside assist
*MLP Includes GST and LCT but excluding statutory charges, dealer costs and dealer delivery. See your dealer for RDAP. Does not include price of options. Some features mentioned in the article are options. RDAP means Recommended Drive Away Price (without options but including all other charges)
|Behind the Wheel
|Ride and Handling
|Fit for Purpose
|Value for Money
|Max ground clearance
|Up to 147mm
|Turning Circle KTK
|Boot Capacity Min
|Boot capacity Max
|Tow Ball rating
Lexus LS Model walk
Pricing from: MLP*
|LS 500 and LS 500h F Sport
|LS 500 and LS 500h Sports Luxury
Sports Luxury options:
- White, Black, Chateau and Hazel trims with premium ornamentations are no-cost options.
- Other trim and ornamentation combinations are available for an extra $10,000.
1-LS 500 and LS 500h F Sport and Sports Luxury highlights
- Adaptive Variable Suspension
- Height adjustable Multi-link Front and Rear Air Suspension
- Clearance and Reversing Sonar (8 head) with Front Cross-Traffic Alert and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert+Brake
- LED Headlights with BladeScan™3 Adaptive High-beam System
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) with Sequential Indicators
- Tilt and Slide Moonroof
- Touchless (foot sensing) Power Boot Lid
- Keyless Smart Entry (4 door) with Smart Key Card
- Soft Close Doors
- Rain Sensing Wipers
- Illuminated Door Handles with Front Puddle Lights
- Auto Retractable, Heated and Self-dimming Exterior Mirrors with Memory
- Digital Rear View Mirror
- 3″ Multimedia Touch-display and Lexus Remote Touch-pad Controller
- 23 Speaker Mark Levinson®2 Audio with Subwoofer
- Apple CarPlay®8 and Android Auto™9 compatibility
- DAB+ digital radio10
- DVD player, USB (x4) and AUX Input
- Satellite Navigation System
- Colour Head Up Display
- Lexus Climate Concierge with Infrared Body Temperature Sensors
- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats with Rear Heated Outer Seats
- 28-way Power Operated Front Seats with Memory
- Driver Seat with Easy Access Functions
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Smart Start and Push Button Start
- Electric Rear Sunshade
- Pre-Collision Safety System including pedestrian and daylight cyclist detection
- Front Lateral Side Pre-Collision System
- Active Steering Assist
- All-speed Radar Active Cruise Control
- Lane Tracing Assist with Curve Speed Reduction
- Parking Support Brake
- Road Sign Assist (detects certain speed signs)
- 4-camera Panoramic View Monitor
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Lexus Connected Services including Automatic Collision Notification, SOS Emergency Call and Stolen Vehicle Tracking
2-LS 500 and LS 500h F Sport exclusive features
- 20″ Dark Metallic Alloy Wheels
- Badging, Grilles and Dark Metallic Accents
- High Performance Brake Package
- Dynamic Rear Steering
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering
- Active Front and Rear Stabilisers (LS 500 F Sport only)
- Dual Zone Climate Control Air Conditioning
- LFA-style 8″ Digital Instrumentation with slide-out meter ring
- Leather Accented Seats and Ornamentation
- Bolstered Front Seats
- Steering Wheel, Shift Lever, Clock and Pedals
- 10 SRS Airbags
3-LS 500 and LS 500h Sports Luxury exclusive features
- Sports Luxury 20″ Hollow Chamber Alloy Wheels
- Quad-zone Climate Control Air Conditioning
- 8″ Sports Luxury Digital Instrumentation
- Semi Aniline Leather Accented Interior
- Choice of Unique Ornamentations, some at additional cost
- Front Seat Relaxation System
- Dual 11.6″ HD Rear Seat Entertainment screens with HDMI input
- Power Operated Outboard Rear Seats with Memory
- Rear seat (passenger side) with Full Recline function and Ottoman
- Rear Seat Massage System for outboard seats
- Rear Armrest with Touchscreen Climate, Audio and Massage Controls
- Electric Rear Side Sunshades
- Rear Cooler Box (LS 500 only)
- Rear Ventilated Outer Seats
- Front Seat Easy Access Seatbelt Buckles
- 12 SRS Airbags (Additional Rear Seat Cushion Airbags)
Motoring Minute is heard around Australia every day on over 50 radio channels through the Torque Radio network.
Our Motoring Minute has an average daily audience of over 550,000 listeners and they are also syndicated through various news sites around Australia.
Additionally Motoring Minute is also broadcast as part of Overdrive Radio Program, which is broadcast through the Community Radio Network across Australia