Subaru XV, a multi COTY award winner at OzRoamer, now comes in a mild hybrid version. These are available now and in fact, Subaru is in the pleasant position of having the first 4-5 months allocations already pre sold.
We didn’t have a chance to drive the Hybrids at the Press Release that will come in a few weeks, so here are the details. XV Hybrid is priced from $35,580 MLP*
Subaru’s first steps in the hybrid arena form part of a long-term strategy that will produce a variety of next generation power plants and technologies in the coming years. As of the launch date Subaru has already achieved over 500 Forester and XV hybrid sales with fleet customers. And another 200 odd private customer orders.
XV Hybrid offers over 14% improvement in fuel efficiency over equivalent petrol variants in the urban ADR cycle and over 7% improvement in the combined ADR cycle. There is a slight 100kg weight penalty with the new engine.
XV Hybrid e-boxer engine
The XV Hybrid model is an addition to the range and features e-Boxer power – a 2.0 litre horizontally opposed Boxer engine linked via Motor Assist to a high voltage lithium ion battery, offering fuel economy benefits, particularly in congested city driving.
The four cylinder 2.0 litre engine produces 110 Kilowatts of power at 6,000 rpm and 196 Newtonmetres of torque at 4,000 rpm and features the efficient intake/exhaust Active Valve Control System (AVCS).
The electric motor produces 12.3 kW of power and 66 Nm of torque, and is self-charging, via kinetic energy captured by regenerative braking and coasting. The XV retains the CVT and X Mode AWD SYSTEM.
The e-Boxer logic adjusts the power split between petrol and electric to match driving conditions and enhances the smoothness and linear feel of acceleration. .
It automatically changes between three modes:
- Motor Assist EV driving
- Motor Assist electric (EV) + petrol engine driving, and;
- Petrol engine driving
From standstill or at low speed, the vehicle is powered by the electric motor only, for quiet, zero-emission driving.
Depending upon driving environment, vehicle and battery condition, it can operate in fully electric mode up to 40 km/h.
When driving in fully electric mode (both forward and reverse), the Pedestrian Alert system emits a sound, to alert people in close proximity. The system operates when the vehicle speed is 24 km/h or less.
At medium speeds, combined power from both the electric and petrol engine produce responsive, linear and more fuel efficient acceleration.
At high speed, the Boxer petrol engine exclusively powers the vehicle, while regenerative braking or coasting with foot off the accelerator, recharges the lithium ion battery.
Under certain driving conditions above 40 km/h, when decelerating or coasting and the battery is charging, the petrol engine can turn off, achieving fuel saving.
As soon as the accelerator is pressed, the engine will re-start.
Depending upon driving style, the e-Boxer hybrid system can offer improved fuel consumption particularly in urban, stop-go traffic.
It also eliminates the unnatural braking feel common to some electric-only vehicles.
The e-Boxer hybrid system uses kinetic energy by converting it into electricity, delivered to the battery located in the sub cargo floor, together with the drive motor inverter and DC/DC converter. All are installed in a high-strength frame, with sound dampening and moisture-repelling qualities.
The electric motor assist and battery pack are aligned longitudinally, with the motor located near the vehicle’s centre of gravity, while the battery and other components are above the rear axle, also contributing to low centre of gravity and optimising front/rear weight distribution.
An unobtrusive cooling system draws air from the cabin to help maintain the battery at operating temperature and to help ensure better longevity.
As with the entire Subaru new vehicle range, all hybrid variants have a five-star rating for occupant safety from the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).
All Subaru hybrids purchased by private buyers for private use offer a five year unlimited kilometre warranty, plus an eight-year 160,000 km lithium ion battery warranty.
*MLP – Manufacturers List Price includes GST and LCT but excluding statutory charges, dealer costs and dealer delivery. See your dealer for RDAP. Does not include price of any options.
- ABS anti-lock brakes with four-wheel discs and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Active Torque Vectoring
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- Brake Assist
- Child seat anchor points on back of rear seat; ISOFIX outer rear seats
- Curtain airbags
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Dual front airbags
- Dual side airbags
- Dusk sensing auto-off headlights
- EyeSight driver assist, featuring:
- Pre-collision braking
- Adaptive cruise control
- Pre-collision throttle management
- Lead vehicle start alert
- Lane departure warning
- Lane Keep Assist
- Front LED fog lights
- Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters
- Front height adjustable seatbelt anchors
- Pedestrian alert system
- Rain sensing front windscreen wipers
- Rear door child lock
- Rear seat reminder
- Rear view camera
- Ring-shaped reinforced passenger cabin
- Seatbelt indicator lights
- Side intrusion bars
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
- Three-point A/ELR rear seatbelt
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Vehicle Dynamics Control
- Vision Assist:
- Blind spot monitoring
- Lane change assist
- High beam assist
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Reverse automatic braking
- 6.5-inch infotainment display, Apple CarPlay™ and Google Android Auto™ compatible, digital radio (DAB+), six speaker audio, steering wheel controls
- Automatic climate control air conditioning
- Bottle holders in all doors + two cup holders in centre console & rear armrest
- Cargo area light
- Cargo hooks
- Cargo security blind
- Central locking – remote
- Cruise control – steering wheel buttons
- Driver’s footrest
- Energy flow display
- Height and reach adjustable steering column
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Immobiliser security system
- Leather finish steering wheel and gear shift
- Lineartronic® Continuously Variable Transmission with paddle shift
- Map lights (2)
- Power steering, folding mirrors and windows
- Premium cloth trim – charcoal colour
- Remote fuel lid release – tethered fuel cap
- Seatback pocket (front passenger side)
- Two remote central locking keys
- Vanity mirrors
- 60/40 split-fold rear seat
- 12V/120W power jacks (two)
- 17-inch alloy wheels (17x7J, with a 225/60R17 99H tyre)
- Colour-coded mirrors and door handles
- Heated door mirrors
- Rear privacy glass
- Rear roof spoiler with LED brake light
- Rear roof mounted shark fin radio antenna
- Rear wiper
- Roof rails – black
- Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- Subaru Global Platform
- Five-year unlimited kilometre warranty
- Eight-year/160,000 km warranty – Lithium-ion battery
- 2.0 litre DOHC direct injection horizontally opposed e-Boxer engine produces 110 Kilowatts of power at 6,000 rpm and 196 Newtonmetres of torque at 4,000 rpm
- 12-month/12,500 kilometres Capped Price Service schedule
- Electric motor produces 12.3 kW and 66 Nm
XV HYBRID AWD ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
Bore x stroke
Horizontally opposed, naturally aspirated
84 x 90
DOHC with dual AVCS
Direct Injection, Electronic Throttle Control
110 kW/6,000 rpm
196 Nm/4,000 rpm
Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
TRANSMISSION – LINEARTRONIC CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE
|First||3.533 (Manual mode)|
|Second||1.892 (M mode)|
|Third||1.474 (M mode)|
|Fourth||1.228 (M mode)|
|Fifth||1.024 (M mode)|
|Sixth||0.852 (M mode)|
|Seventh||0.682 (M mode)|
EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
|Overall length mm||4,465|
|Overall width mm||1,800|
|Overall height mm||1,595 (with roof rails)|
|Track – front mm||1,550|
|Track – rear mm||1,555|
|Min. ground clearance mm||220|
|Kerb weight kg:||1,576|
|Fuel consumption (L/100km) combined:
|Carbondioxide (g/km) combined:
|Fuel tank capacity||48 litres|
|Minimum fuel requirement:||91 RON|
STEERING, BRAKES, TYRES & TOWING
|Steering||Electric power assistance rack and pinion|
|Turning circle (metres)||10.8|
MacPherson-type struts, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Double wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar
|17-inch alloy x7J
|Towing capacity (kg):
Maximum towball download (kg):