Driving in the snow isn’t a common occurrence in Australia. However it’s best to be prepared than sitting by the side of the road scratching your head, wondering what went wrong. Rob Fraser gives us some tips
There are three main areas that you need to focus on
- Get your car serviced so it and your tyres are in the best condition
- Ensure you have antifreeze in your radiator and window wash
- If driving a diesel fill up with Alpine Diesel
Driving in the snow
- Nothing sudden is the key here no sudden braking or accelerating and easy on the corners
- If you have a 2WD take and practice fitting chains. If you have an AWD like the Subaru Forester or VW Touareg, then in NSW you don’t need chains.
- Watch out for Black Ice
Parking in the snow
- If you can park facing downhill and in designated spots
- Leave your wipers up
- Use your demister to clear the windows, never use hot water.