Crosstrek Hybrid – Last week I drove the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid in the top spec ‘S’ model. It’s a small to medium sized hatchback SUV style that looks ready for adventure.
Subaru released the Crosstrek earlier this year and it quickly became a standout in the segment.
Some of the thing I like most are:
- the huge vertical central touch screen that is easy to use and has excellent clarity.
- 360-degree cameras for better visibility both on and off road
- Class leading safety features.
- Symmetrical all-wheel drive with twin mode X-Mode and 220mm of ground clearance, and
- Little things like heated front seats, electric sunroof, and steering responsive LED auto headlights.
The Crosstrek Hybrid comes with a 2.0L petrol boxer petrol engine with a 4.8 amp hour battery. It provides a little extra power and torque and improves economy by about 10%
Subaru Crosstrek gives buyers a choice of three different models with the normal boxer engine or two models with the hybrid e-boxer engine. Pricing is from a little under $40,000 through to about $50,000 drive away depending on the model.
This is a Motoring Minute
I’m Brianna Fraser
TO LISTEN TO THE CROSSTREK HYBRID S RADIO REVIEW, CLICK BELOW
More Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid details
e-Boxer mild hybrid system and transmission
Hybrid Crosstrek variants feature Subaru’s hybrid electric power unit system that combines Motor Assist with two of Subaru’s core technologies – Boxer engine and Symmetrical AWD.
The electric motor is placed near the vehicle’s centre of gravity, while the battery and other components are placed above the rear axle, allowing the lowest possible centre of gravity and balanced front/rear vehicle weight distribution.
The system includes a 2.0-litre direct injection petrol Boxer engine, an electric motor inbuilt in the rear of the CVT, and a 118.4-volt battery placed under the rear cargo floor.
A prime benefit of an electric motor is its ability to produce elevated levels of torque instantaneously, providing enhanced driveability and engagement. Motor Assist helps enhance X-Mode’s rough road capability, for example, by enabling easy torque control at low speeds over tough terrain.
All-new Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid variants, which feature the e-Boxer engine, are equipped with the TH580 Lineartronic® CVT with 7-speed manual mode.
Subaru Crosstrek S Hybrid specific features
Crosstrek AWD Hybrid L
- Horizontally-opposed e-Boxer 4-cylinder, petrol engine
- Lineartronic® CVT with 7-speed manual mode
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- Auto Stop Start
- Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive)
- X-Mode will hill decent control.
- 17-inch alloy wheels (new design)
- LED headlights
- Dusk-sensing headlights
- Rear combination lights with LED brake lights
- SUBARU letter badge
- Roof rails – black
- Tricot (Tetra Embossing) cloth seat trim
- Dual-zone, climate-control air-conditioning
Entertainment, Technology and Safety
- Central information display with 11.6-inch touchscreen
- Wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ connectivity
- USB ports – USB-A and USB-C connection
- Wireless Qi charger
- 6-speaker audio
- SRS airbags – dual front, dual front side, dual curtain, driver’s knee, far side, and front passenger seat cushion
- E-Active Shift Control
- EyeSight® Driver Assist system featuring:
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Emergency Lane Keep Assist
- Lane Centring Function
- Lane Departure Prevention
- Lane Departure Warning
- Lane Sway Warning
- Lead Vehicle Start Alert
- Pre-Collision Braking System
- Pre-Collision Throttle Management
- Autonomous Emergency Steering
- Brake Light Recognition
- Intelligent Speed Limiter
- Speed Limiter
- Speed Sign Recognition
- Wide-angle Monocular Camera
- Subaru Vision Assist featuring:
- Blind Sport Monitor (BSM)
- EyeSight® Assist Monitor
- Lane Change Assist (LCA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Front Side Radar
- Rear parking sensors
- Reverse Automatic Braking
- Driver Monitoring System – Driver Focus featuring:
- Distraction warning
- Drowsiness warning
- Facial recognition
- Climate control setting (last used)
- MID display (last used)
Crosstrek AWD Hybrid S adds:
- X-Mode (2 mode)
- Electric sunroof
- Door mirrors – heated
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Roof rails – dark grey
- Front fog light – LED
- Self-levelling LED headlights with auto off
- Front cornering lamps
- Leather accented seat trim
- 10-way power seat with lumbar support – driver
- Heated seats – driver and front passenger
- Leather steering wheel and gear shift
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Aluminium sports pedals
Entertainment, Technology and Safety
- Satellite navigation
- 10 speak audio system with Harman Kardon® amplifier.
- Subaru Vision Assist:
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Panoramic 360-degree View Monitor
- Side View Monitor (SVM)
- Side View Monitor (SVM)
More Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid S thoughts
What is good?
What is not so good?
Also look at.
Smaller Hybrid SUVs for the urban environment are becoming popular.
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid S final thoughts
I like the Subaru Crosstrek. Perfect size for an adventure based urban AWD SUV.
As this is a hybrid, I was looking for more fuel benefits, but its good for a mild hybrid.
The Crosstrek hybrid ‘S’ model is packed with features and is easy to drive and live with.
There is a hefty $3500 price premium over the petrol version. That’s a lot of fuel I could buy.
Crosstrek Hybrid S
|Model Price||$45.090 MLP*|
|Engine||2.0L 4 Cyl e-boxer petrol hybrid|
|Drivetrain||7 Step Lineartronic CVT AWD|
|Battery Capacity / type||4.8ah|
|Power||110Kw @ 5,800 – 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||199Nm @ 4,000 rpm 66Nm EV|
|Fuel ADR||6.5L/100km Euro 6|
|Fuel on Test||7.2 L/100k|
|Range (WLTP) / efficiency||800km Max|
|Realistic range||725km on test|
|Fast Charge / Home (240V)||N/A|
|0-100kmh/Top Speed||10.5 secs / 199km/h|
|Servicing||12 Mth / 15,000km – Capped|
|Warranty||5yr/ Unlimited km|
|Roadside Assist||5Yr. conditional roadside assist|
*MLP Includes GST and LCT but excluding statutory charges, dealer costs and dealer delivery. See your dealer for RDAP. Does not include price of options. Some features mentioned in the article are options. RDAP means Recommended Drive Away Price (without options but including all other charges)
|Behind the Wheel||9|
|Ride and Handling||9|
|Fit for Purpose||9|
|Style / appeal||8|
|Value for Money||8|
Crosstrek hybrid S
|Wheels||18 X 7.0 Alloy|
|Max ground clearance||Up to 220mm|
|Turning Circle KTK||10.8m|
|Boot Capacity Min||315L|
|Boot capacity Max||1270L|
|Tow Ball rating||127kg|
Radio Segments Motoring Minute
You can listen to Motoring Minute every day is heard around Australia on over 50 radio channels through the Torque Radio network.
Motoring Minute has an average daily audience of over 550,000 listeners. Radio segments are also syndicated through various news sites around Australia.
Additionally Motoring Minute is also broadcast as part of Overdrive Radio Program. This can be found weekly on the Community Radio Network across Australia.